Former President Goodluck Jonathan has asked a Federal High Court sitting in Abuja to order former national publicity secretary of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Olisa Metuh, to deposit N1billion with the court to cover for his travelling expenses before he can testify in his case.
Jonathan also asked the court to set aside the subpoena ordered to be served on him by the court to come and testify in the corruption suit against Metuh.
The federal government is prosecuting Metuh and his company over alleged N400 million fraud. The money was alleged to be part of the funds meant for the purchase of arms to fight Boko Haram insurgents.
Last week, Justice Okon Abang granted Metuh’s request to summon Jonathan and a former National Security Adviser, Col. Sambo Dasuki (rtd), to appear before it as witnesses.
The court subsequently adjourned till yesterday for Jonathan and Dasuki to appear in court.
But Jonathan, through his counsel, Mike Ozekhome (SAN), asked the court for an order to set aside the issuance and service of the ‘subpoena ad testifiandum’ issued on October 23 for the purpose of his appearance in court and give evidence in the case.
On the alternative, the applicant (Jonathan) is asking the court for an order directing Metuh to deposit with the court for and on behalf of the applicant the sum of N1 billion in line with the provisions of section 241(2) of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act, 2015.
Ozekhome said the said money will cover travelling expenses for client and his security personnel from his home town, Otuoke in Bayelsa State, to Abuja and also for time that he might spend appearing before the court as President of Nigeria between 2010 to 2015.
In his grounds of application, Ozekhome submitted that the evidence sought to be obtained from the applicant will amount to an invasion of his personal right to privacy, and family life as provided for in section 37 of the 1999 constitution as amended.
Share This Post on Facebook!